Culture is a driving force of development, not only in respect of economic growth, but also in promoting social cohesion and intercultural dialogue. While culture is often associated with artefacts and ancient monuments, culture is more than its material expressions. It includes our way of life, value systems, traditions and beliefs.
Protecting, preserving and promoting culture and cultural diversity is one of the central pillars of UNESCO’s work. UNESCO aims to protect both tangible and intangible cultural heritage which may be threatened by looting and illicit trade, armed conflicts, pollution, unchecked tourism and unsustainable development. On the international level, UNESCO is a key advocate for the role of culture in development. UNESCO’s international conventions are essential tools for raising awareness of the importance of culture and ensuring international cooperation on cultural issues.
The UK’s rich cultural heritage, dynamic creative industries, vibrant arts scene and multicultural population makes the UK well placed to support UNESCO’s work in culture. The UK National Commission for UNESCO (UKNC) draws on these diverse traditions and experiences to pursue UNESCO’s aim of protecting our shared global heritage, promoting cultural diversity and facilitate intercultural dialogue.
Read more about our work in culture by selecting from the below list of topics.
Pages in this section
- World Heritage Sites
- Providing expert analysis and advice to preserve and promote World Heritage Sites in the UK and internationally.
- Culture and Conflict
- Working to raise awareness about the need to protect cultural property during armed conflict.
- Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH)
- Raising awareness of the importance of intangible heritage at the local, national and international levels, as well as encouraging international cooperation and assistance.
- Creative Cities Network
- Connecting cities to share experiences, ideas and best practices for cultural, social and economic development
- UNESCO Cultural Conventions
- Supporting the effective implementation of UNESCO's Cultural Conventions, for the identification, conservation and protection of culture and heritage around the world